Skip to main content

Level 0 Characters for 5e

Level 0 characters are a topic I didn't know I wanted to write about until @DnDEdition tagged me in a post describing a homebrew approach to Level 0 characters.
While I like the creativity they put into their Level 0 character generation process, here are my thoughts on using Level 0 characters.

Level 0 character generation

Follow the steps described in the Basic Rules/Player's Handbook as follows:
  1. Choose a Race
  2. skip Choose a Class. Your base Hit Points are 6.
  3. Determine Ability Scores
  4. Describe Your Character
  5. Play the game.

Race

Your choice of race will influence your Ability Scores and Skills. At Level 0, this can be especially important. A magical Cantrip is a potent spell and a Skill Proficiency is something most characters will not have.

If you use Variant Human rules including Feats, you should grant the Feat at this stage. It may not have the same effect for a Level 0 character as for a standard Level 1, but that seems appropriate.

Skip Choose a Class

The major difference between Level 0 and Level 1  is the benefit of a Class. Classes determine Hit Dice, Proficiencies and much more. At Level 0 you get none of that.

Since the smallest Hit Die for any class is a d6, use 6 Hit Points as the base Hit Points for your Level 0 character. Characters who choose classes with more Hit Points gain those at Level 1.

Determine Ability Scores

Do this like you usually do. Pick a method and generate your Ability Scores. Apply bonuses from your Race.

Describe Your Character

The most significant step of Describing Your Character will be choosing a Background. This is intended to reflect a character's previous life and training, so it serves as the source of Proficiencies and Equipment your Level 0 character will receive.

Use a Proficiency Bonus of +2 for these Proficiencies, as well as any granted by Race.

In my opinion, this gives you some direction for how your character will act and grow. If you wanted to have Level 0 characters who are children or young adults you could decide to give part of a Background or use none at all.

You can still describe all of the other components of your character's description, such as Alignment, Bonds, Flaws and Ideals, but I imagine that Level 0 characters are most interesting to players that want to determine these details through play. Your Level 0 character may be in the middle of experiencing the events that influence their later description.

Playing with Level 0 Characters

There's a big challenge in playing Level 0 characters. You won't have many Hit Points, Proficiencies or any Class Abilities. This makes you pretty vulnerable and below the average in terms of capabilities, so take advantage of this short time to play a scene of personal significance.

As Level 0 characters coming together, this is probably a moment that is formative for your later campaign; think about how you all met and what things became important to you.

Consider this a golden opportunity to make future friends and experience defeat.

Play Level 0 for exactly one session. Level the characters up and come back for Level 1 next time.

Experiencing Defeat

No one likes losing. Yet, everyone loves a good villain. A Level 0 game is a great opportunity to showcase characters that are interesting and come together in the face of a threat, specifically one that will come back later in the game (at Level 1) to cause trouble for the characters again.

At Level 0, lose. Let the villain defeat the characters and throw it in their face. Leave them broken and alone, unworthy of being finished off. Then let them come back at Level 1 for revenge.

This doesn't have to be combat; it could be a social defeat or a puzzle that must be solved to enter a dungeon. Have fun with defeat and let it shape your character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Cypher Mon - Monster Battling Cypher Hack Premise

I'm taking the long way around to another Cypher System hack. There is a lot to love about the Cypher System; in this case I want to emphasize the ease of creating NPCs and other entities by level. The Cypher System uses levels to abstract everything outside of player characters. They're generally rated 1-10 with 10 being the best. When you compare 2 things and they have different levels, the one with the higher level wins. You can make quick decisions based on that system or do things in a more granular fashion using these same rules. So here are some things I want to lay out in Cypher System for a monster battling setting. 1. Easy monster creation and ways to classify weakness/strength based on type. This would be something like: Splash (Level 3 Water Mon) Water Type is Strong against Earth types and Weak against Wood types. 2. Character Types based upon Monster Battling. Revising the default types of Cypher (Warrior, Adept, Explorer, Speaker) to be based around