Skip to main content

Pathfinder Playtest Thoughts

The Pathfinder Playtest is going on now.
I am really enjoying everything about it! Unexpectedly so, as well.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest


I played D&D 3 and 3.5 in their time. When I first heard about Pathfinder several years later, it seemed like a great way to preserve what I knew of D&D at a time when 4th Edition seemed like something different than I wanted.I ended up with a couple of Pathfinder books, then later a digital bundle of supplements.

I don't think I ever used them once. By the time I got over my gaming hiatus, D&D 5th Edition was out and I liked it a lot. There was the influence of Critical Role and lots of local opportunities to run and play games, so I dived into D&D5e.

I recently got a copy of Starfinder. I love the art but I ran the game for about 3 hours total and have no desire to go back. Starfinder has some interesting ideas but ends up very complicated; as a GM, it's more effort than I want to put in when prepping and running a session.

My initial hesitance to look at Pathfinder Playtest came directly from my Starfinder experience. I finally took a look on Friday last week and haven't stopped looking at it.

Pathfinder Playtest has managed to keep the broad character options of Pathfinder, with the selection of Feats to customize characters, while drastically simplifying combat, task resolution and the rulebook in general.

Character creation is has a streamlined approach that gives options but doesn't require a lot of research. You select an ancestry, a background and a class. All provide Feats and give room for customization. I really like the new version of Ability Score generation used in the Playtest. You start with all Abilities at 10, make a number of 2-point Boosts and you may have a 2-point Penalty to subtract. Very simple and it gives a lot of room for character customization.

The Background options are great. They have lots of flavor, play off the Pathfinder specialty of using Feats to customize characters and feel like they have a lot of variety.

The Classes are similar to what you would see in Pathfinder 1 or various D&D editions; one I really like is the spellcaster Counterspell Feat (no more separate spell, just a Feat). It simplifies and directs gameplay. Many things feel like they really determine play style when selected, but there are also concrete rules in the game for changing Feat selections and Class ability selections, which is a really cool addition for a game that may be many peoples' first roleplaying game.

The general way of playing the game is simplified. You have a modifier to Checks, which is typically an Ability + Proficiency, you add a single Bonus and subtract a single Penalty. That's a huge update on Pathfinder modifiers that I love.

There are lots of other gems in the books, which everyone should check out at paizo.com for themselves, but also really like a couple small things:
  • The beast rules are in the Bestiary, not the main book. I never like flipping between books and building monsters and encounters belong in the Bestiary. The Environment rules are there as well, which makes less sense to me, but still helps the organization.
  • The simple chart used for determining Difficulty Class makes the whole game work. It was my first bookmark on the PDF; I imagine that it will be the most important page in the book.
  • Multiclassing uses Archetypes and Feats without taking you out of your main class. I think that's an interesting choice that may play out well.
My biggest concern, not having played the game yet, are Recovery Saving Throws. When you go to 0 HP, you have to make your Recovery Saving Throws against the Ability or Spell that knocked you out. This is a Fortitude Saving Throw, so characters have a bonus that includes their Constitution modifier and their character level at minimum. The DC ranges from 12-49. This could be really good for characters with a high modifier and really bad for those without. I'm interested to see how that plays out in-game.

Overall, I'm really excited about the options in the Pathfinder Playtest. I'm much more likely to play and run this than Pathfinder 1. The direction of the game has a lot of potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Dragon's Pool

Here's a pitch for a new game setting for D&D I'm working on. First, I recommend you read Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's a fantasy Japan with a lot of great characters and fun over-the-top fantasy. The Dragon's Pool is an Asian-inspired setting that focuses on the mystical and magical. Long-term goals are to zoom out and see the lands of China, Korea, Mongolia and southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Short-term, Dragon's Pool will focus on a mythic Japan and the sea that surrounds it. Some of the homebrew topics I'm dealing with are the yokai (monster) races of Kitsune and Tanuki and a lot of mapping D&D Classes and Archetypes to Asian tropes. You can follow along for more and also check out the World Anvil page at https://www.worldanvil.com/w/dragons-pool-hans