Skip to main content

3d Printer Dungeon Tiles

After having a 3d printer for a while and getting deep into printing 3d dungeon tiles, I've finally gotten around to printing a pretty good number of them.
dungeon tiles arranged to make a set of rooms

dungeon tiles arranged to make rooms showing door

These are Fat Dragon Games brand Dragonlock 3d tiles. They are available on DriveThruRPG and they have a free set you can try. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/197128/DRAGONLOCK-Ultimate-Free-Sample-Set?cPath=587_24363
Lots of 3d printed tile walls

For a general cost breakdown, the printer I use cost $175 with shipping and required assembly.
https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html?wid=1433363&currency=USD&vip=4264393&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvk-L2AlIF-Gxq7fnZD7SX_QnUwC6c_b7GnZBloRLMB7Um2sS-wyOmMhoCJPkQAvD_BwE
Printer filament is about $20 per 1kg spool.
 https://www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-3D-Filament-Dimensional-Accuracy/dp/B00J0GMMP6/ref=sr_1_3/130-5385302-1079852?ie=UTF8&qid=1535471483&sr=8-3&keywords=filament+pla+hatchbox
The models are typically $9.99 per file set.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/166074/DRAGONLOCK-Ultimate-Dungeon-Starter-Set?src=hottest_filtered
With these things together, not accounting for time and labor on my part, I think tiles cost about 80 cents per piece.

Details of pillars, alcoves and other tile features

Cavern tiles
None of my 3d tile models are as high quality or durable as Dwarven Forge's top of the line dungeon tiles, but the cost and ability to produce what I want makes up for that, to me. The biggest thing I want out of dungeon tiles is the ability to quickly create fun 3d setups for Dungeons and Dragons with a set of tools that won't be harmed when my kids play with them.
Previous to this, I've done a lot of projects with cardboard and foam but these haven't held up well with time. The 3d printed tiles combine higher durability with low individual costs to keep things reasonable for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon's Pool

Here's a pitch for a new game setting for D&D I'm working on. First, I recommend you read Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's a fantasy Japan with a lot of great characters and fun over-the-top fantasy. The Dragon's Pool is an Asian-inspired setting that focuses on the mystical and magical. Long-term goals are to zoom out and see the lands of China, Korea, Mongolia and southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Short-term, Dragon's Pool will focus on a mythic Japan and the sea that surrounds it. Some of the homebrew topics I'm dealing with are the yokai (monster) races of Kitsune and Tanuki and a lot of mapping D&D Classes and Archetypes to Asian tropes. You can follow along for more and also check out the World Anvil page at https://www.worldanvil.com/w/dragons-pool-hans

Playing Cypher - Transparent Difficulties

I've realized lately that I'm doing something very different from the play examples in Cypher System books. I've been telling my players the difficulty levels of everything before they roll. I think this is because the majority of my games have been one-shots, demos and short arcs at home. But I like it! There's been little consistent growth in play, so it's been natural for me to make things really transparent for players. Here's what I mean: A player attempts a task. They describe it, saying what they want to do. I tell them the difficulty number (i.e. 5) and what they have to roll to beat it (15). We use Skills and Assets to modify the difficulty. They get the opportunity to apply Effort. Then we roll. That's how I've been running the game. I notice that the Play Examples in the book and most games I've seen keep difficulties secret. I think this is a natural thing in role-playing games but I don't know if I like the practice. It seems to...

Pathfinder Playtest Thoughts

The Pathfinder Playtest is going on now. I am really enjoying everything about it! Unexpectedly so, as well. http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest I played D&D 3 and 3.5 in their time. When I first heard about Pathfinder several years later, it seemed like a great way to preserve what I knew of D&D at a time when 4th Edition seemed like something different than I wanted.I ended up with a couple of Pathfinder books, then later a digital bundle of supplements. I don't think I ever used them once. By the time I got over my gaming hiatus, D&D 5th Edition was out and I liked it a lot. There was the influence of Critical Role and lots of local opportunities to run and play games, so I dived into D&D5e. I recently got a copy of Starfinder. I love the art but I ran the game for about 3 hours total and have no desire to go back. Starfinder has some interesting ideas but ends up very complicated; as a GM, it's more effort than I want to put in when prepping and r...