Skip to main content

No Thank You Evil Hack - 3 Wishes

No Thank You, Evil! (NTYE) by Monte Cook Games (MCG) is a lot of fun. It's designed for kids, but they let adults play too. I've had the opportunity to play it adult-to-adult and to run it for mixed groups and I love it.

Like all games I love, I want to do more with it. There's  a Netflix show called True and the Rainbow Kingdom that is incredibly popular with our kids. The premise of the show is that the protagonist, True, a young girl who lives in the Rainbow Kingdom, solves problems that occur with the help of magical wishes, each of which is a tiny being that reminds me of a Pokemon. They all have names and special powers which are useful in different situations.

In NTYE you get 3 Treats at the start of the session, which you use to ask your Companion to deal with problems. The Companion is a Robot Dog, a Big Bad Wolf, a Little Sibling, etc. and they are the conduit through which players access Cyphers, a staple of MCG designs. These are always fun and creative ways to deal with problems that are outside a character's abilities and are highly mutable. In my opinion, a goal for a MCG session is to use all of your Cyphers.

So instead of a Companion, I want to arm each player with their three Treats and tell them they will get 3 Wishes. To use a Wish, they have to hold up their Treat and say what the Wish they are asking for is. A Wish has a name that relates to its function, and a power. For example, a Wish on True is Pom-Pom, a wish that makes whatever you say much louder, like a megaphone.

During the session, I plan to introduce a main problem that the players will try to solve and a number of smaller obstacles on the way. To solve the problem, they need to deal with those obstacles as they become evident. In an episode of True, the protagonist usually discovers the problem, then asks for her wishes and returns to solve the problem.

Here is my example scenario: It is a super hot day. The gumdrop tree on Sunshine Hill is so hot that its gumdrops are melting and running down the hill making everything super sticky. On the hill along with the gumdrop tree is a bicycle racetrack and a super slide that goes all the way down to the bottom.

Main problem: Sticky gumdrops due to heat
Additional obstacles:
  • Bicycles stuck on track, possible traffic jam or accident
  • Super slide is not slide-y
So if you had 1 player and 3 wishes, they could use their wishes to:
1. Cool down Sunshine Hill, stopping the sticky gumdrops
2. With the gumdrops cooled, the residue on the bike track and slide becomes hard. They could have a candy-eating wish, a smashing wish or some other way to deal with the gumdrops.
3. Someone could be in peril. They might be riding their bike towards a barrier or their could be stuck on the sticky slide. A wish that saves them by roping them in, lifting them up, creating a bouncy trampoline, or some other way to save them.

I think it would be a great chance to emphasize creativity and reward originality to let them deal with the problems in the way that sounds best to them. If something seems really difficult, they could have to roll a higher number. The ability pools and point-spending system of NTYE gives a very flexible way to deal with difficulty that kids seem to like and appreciate. I also find it very common at our house to have kids give each other points to  pay the cost of their rolls. I love that.

So if you want a fun hack for creative kids to play NTYE  in a new way, try this and tell me what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Dragon's Pool

Here's a pitch for a new game setting for D&D I'm working on. First, I recommend you read Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's a fantasy Japan with a lot of great characters and fun over-the-top fantasy. The Dragon's Pool is an Asian-inspired setting that focuses on the mystical and magical. Long-term goals are to zoom out and see the lands of China, Korea, Mongolia and southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Short-term, Dragon's Pool will focus on a mythic Japan and the sea that surrounds it. Some of the homebrew topics I'm dealing with are the yokai (monster) races of Kitsune and Tanuki and a lot of mapping D&D Classes and Archetypes to Asian tropes. You can follow along for more and also check out the World Anvil page at https://www.worldanvil.com/w/dragons-pool-hans