Skip to main content

Streaming RPGs - First Steps

This week I've started preparing for an online streamed Starfinder game. Because I've been looking through so many resources, this seems like a good time to outline what steps I've taken. It can be hard to figure out how to start streaming a game.

First, I needed players! Last week on Twitter I put out an open call for players. That worked well for me because I have a certain amount of reach on Twitter now.

I set up a Discord server to plan the game and coordinate the pre-play items, like sharing safety tools we would use and the rules for Stafinder. I invited each potential player to the server. The benefit was allowing open discussion of the game on a private service. This could have been a Twitter or Facebook Messenger group message but I wanted to use Discord for voice during the game, so it seemed like a good time to learn Discord.

An additional benefit of Discord is having multiple channels, which allowed me to use one for General Chat, one for Character Creation notes and one for Game Planning.

Starfinder became the game of choice for the stream based on a few factors:
  1. I am interested in the game! Always a good start.
  2. The rules are available in a System Resource Document online. This makes it so much easier to incorporate players and allow them to know how the game will function.
  3. It's not over-saturated but it is new. Many people are playing Starfinder but it seems like a game you can play and stand out a bit. I also appreciate the direction that the design team took in using existing Pathfinder to craft Starfinder. It's simpler and more direct but still has a lot of flavor and  options.
Once I had the Discord set up I followed an article from Roll20.net on how to set up OBS for streaming. I incorporated my Twitch stream key and got rolling. Streaming worked fine; to add voice I used the Discord OBS Streamkit overlay. This added a voice widget to the OBS scene. I turned off the visibility on this.

Next I worked on creating an overlay. I had an idea of how many cameras I wanted to use so I laid out these views on the OBS scene using Browser Sources, then created the overlay. I did this with GIMP, a graphic program that is free for Linux, Mac and Windows. This let me import an image and cut holes in it. I matched those holes to the Browser Sources.

So I have a OBS overlay with proper Discord voice channel support. I have a main window that can display the Roll20 screen or another web browser source. Next will be adding video to the player and GM windows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Dragon's Pool

Here's a pitch for a new game setting for D&D I'm working on. First, I recommend you read Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's a fantasy Japan with a lot of great characters and fun over-the-top fantasy. The Dragon's Pool is an Asian-inspired setting that focuses on the mystical and magical. Long-term goals are to zoom out and see the lands of China, Korea, Mongolia and southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Short-term, Dragon's Pool will focus on a mythic Japan and the sea that surrounds it. Some of the homebrew topics I'm dealing with are the yokai (monster) races of Kitsune and Tanuki and a lot of mapping D&D Classes and Archetypes to Asian tropes. You can follow along for more and also check out the World Anvil page at https://www.worldanvil.com/w/dragons-pool-hans