Skip to main content

HP in Genesys - Archetypes

I like Harry Potter. It's something I can share with my whole family, because everyone is a fan, so it's a constant interest of mine to see Harry Potter and the Hogwarts world in RPG systems.
Genesys seems like a very good candidate for this. It has a very open magic system that seems like it would work well with HP.
Something I enjoy about the idea of Genesys is the narrative dice system. My goal in creating an HP game is to have a co-GM game where my wife and I can play without feeling the burden of creating stories rests on either of us.
I'm also happy that Genesys uses incremental (non-level) character gains. It seems to me like it fits the HP model well.

So running down character creation step by step in Genesys, first you need a Background for your character. This is more descriptive than statistical. You answer questions about your character's life and upbringing pre-game.

In my HP example, I want to start with Year 1 Hogwarts students, so the Background would cover things that occurred for the character up to age 11.

The big question for HP is whether your character's family is Muggle, Magical or a mix. I think this is best represented in Genesys using Archetypes rather than Backgrounds. For characters with a mixed family background, i.e. one Magic-born and one Muggle parent, use the Archetype that describes how the character grew up, or the one you like best.

Archetypes in Genesys are starting skill and experience packages. They also have special Archetype abilities that are like starting Talents for your character.
Things I want to empasize in these starting Archetypes:
There is no difference between Muggles and Magic-born. Therefore I plan to offer no statistical difference between them.
The starting skills reflect life experience. Magic-born are more likely to understand magic, Muggles the mundane.

Archetype: Muggle

Brawn 2 Agility 2 Intellect 2 Cunning 2 Willpower 2 Presence 2
Starting Wound Threshold : 10 + Brawn
Starting Stress Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting Experience: 110
Starting Skills: A Muggle starts with one rank in Knowledge(Muggle) during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points and may not increase Knowledge(Muggle) above rank 2 during character creation.
Unexpected: Once per session as an out-of-turn incidental, you may move one Story Point from the Game Master’s pool to the players’pool. (same as Average Human in Genesys Core Rulebook)

Archetype: Mixed

Brawn 2 Agility 2 Intellect 2 Cunning 2 Willpower 2 Presence 2
Starting Wound Threshold : 10 + Brawn
Starting Stress Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting Experience: 105
Starting Skills: A Mixed character starts with one rank in Knowledge(Muggle) and one rank in Knowledge(Magical) during character creation. They obtain these ranks before spending experience points and may not increase Knowledge(Muggle) or Knowledge(Magical) above rank 2 during character creation.
Adaptable:You character removes 1 Setback (1 Black) from any Social checks they make to associate with either Muggles or Magic-born. They add 1 Boost (1 Blue) to any checks made to deal with either Muggle or Magical items.

Archetype: Magic-Born

Brawn 2 Agility 2 Intellect 2 Cunning 2 Willpower 2 Presence 2
Starting Wound Threshold : 10 + Brawn
Starting Stress Threshold: 10 + Willpower
Starting Experience: 110
Starting Skills: A Magic-born starts with one rank in Knowledge(Magical) during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points and may not increase Knowledge(Magical) above rank 2 during character creation.
Practiced: Once per session as an out-of-turn incidental,your character may spend a Story Point as an incidental. If they do so, during the next Arcana or Knowledge(Magical) check they make during that turn, you count their ranks in the skill being used as equal to their Intellect.
More HP ideas in Genesys coming soon! If you have comments on these Archetypes or the idea of HP using Genesys, let me know with a comment!

Comments

  1. Hi Hans!
    We just followed each other in Twitter and then I looked at some of your tweets and found this.
    I am definitely intrigued by Wizarding world in Genesys. I am currently hacking No Thank You, Evil! for Hogwarts and calling it No Thank You, Voldemort! Basically characters are a wizard or witch at Hogwarts, and have a noun of wizard/witch, and descriptor/adjective is your Hogwarts House, and then each House has a few different foci/verbs which I call "Wizarding Talent." For instance, a person may have a character of a Witch from Gryffindor House who Fights against the Dark Arts. The Witch part gives basic stats, the House increases Tough by 1 (Ravenclaw increases Smart by 1, Hufflepuff increases Awesome by 1, and Slytherin increases Fast by 1, which is good for sneaking). The wizarding talent of "who Fights against the Dark Arts" reduces the difficulty/goal for any combat roll against evil by 1. I haven't done anything with the whole Muggle vs Magic-Born vs Mixed, but after reading what you did in GeneSys, that is an interesting idea, I'll have to think about it some.
    Anyway, I'm thrilled to see someone hacking another cool game for fun Harry Potter stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, my apologies for not replying to this sooner! I didn't see an email or a notification about your comments and happened upon them today.
      Your ideas re: HP in NTYE sound AMAZING. I've looked at the HP world through Cypher, Fate and now Genesys and it always makes for a fun project. I think your NTYE ideas sound terrific.
      When I run NTYE it's typically for my 2 & 4 year olds and my wife, so this could be a fun way to go!
      Thanks for sharing your ideas!

      Delete
    2. No worries! I should look in your archive for posts about HP in Cypher. At one point I had this harebrained scheme to expand my NTYE Hogwarts game to expand to Cypher as well, with the kids playing students using NTYE rules, and with adults playing Hogwarts professors using (more) full Cypher System rules. I concluded my game design skills were probably not up to the complexity of the task, but the concept was pretty neat anyway. Drop me an email if you like and I'm happy to share some of my stuff with you, and welcome any feedback.

      Delete
  2. PS if you want to know more about what I've got so far for my hack, drop me a line at bpkurtz-at-gmail.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Cypher Mon - Monster Battling Cypher Hack Premise

I'm taking the long way around to another Cypher System hack. There is a lot to love about the Cypher System; in this case I want to emphasize the ease of creating NPCs and other entities by level. The Cypher System uses levels to abstract everything outside of player characters. They're generally rated 1-10 with 10 being the best. When you compare 2 things and they have different levels, the one with the higher level wins. You can make quick decisions based on that system or do things in a more granular fashion using these same rules. So here are some things I want to lay out in Cypher System for a monster battling setting. 1. Easy monster creation and ways to classify weakness/strength based on type. This would be something like: Splash (Level 3 Water Mon) Water Type is Strong against Earth types and Weak against Wood types. 2. Character Types based upon Monster Battling. Revising the default types of Cypher (Warrior, Adept, Explorer, Speaker) to be based around