Skip to main content

Holiday Gifts and Ideas

At this time of year, I always look around for cool games and projects. Here are a few things I've seen recently you could look at for gifts, provided you have a Role-Playing gamer in your household or network of friends.

For Players

Dice

Everyone loves dice. Metal dice are an especially fancy option. Easy Roller dice are a proven favorite. They also have a lot of easy-to-read six-sided dice available in bulk.
https://easyrollerdice.com/

Rolling Tray

A rolling tray is a great addition to a gamer's arsenal. I've seen gain value for me as my young son starts playing games. Almost any board game or role-playing game would be made easier to play with a rolling tray. I went with a classy, durable hardwood tray for my recommendation.
https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/product-category/products/dice-trays/

For Game Masters

Dungeon World

If you want ta fast, easy-to-play dungeon game, Dungeon World is well-written and a good take on the classic fantasy RPG. At $25 in print (with a PDF) and $10 in PDF it is a very affordable way to start a whole new game.
https://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/dungeon-world-print-pdf.html

dungeon world cover
 

Blades in the Dark

Another game I have to recommend for Game Masters is Blades in the Dark. It has a dark fantasy take on the formula used in heist movies and TV shows. The book is very clear and explains the game well. One of the best RPGs I've read and very different.
https://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=322&zenid=5stt39slog0nfeapqb7s5b7gk6 

blades in the dark

Cypher System Rulebook

If you want one game to fuel all your fantasies, consider the Cypher System. The main rulebook gives you plenty of content and ideas for running a variety of games. Cypher is easy to learn and easy to run.
https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/cypher-system-rulebook/

Predation, Gods of the Fall, Unmasked

The Cypher System has a great group of games released to use its rules. The base book would be plenty to craft all sorts of stories of your own- but there are also 3 great settings that you could be using as well! Predation is my personal favorite: time travelers trapped in the Cretaceous with dinosaur companions. The best! Gods of the Fall is a high fantasy game about learning to use divine powers in a dark world. Unmasked is about super hero teens in 1986. These are both great, well-written and filled with content, so there's no wrong choice with these Cypher System games.
https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product-category/all-products/cypher-system/

predation

Pre-Orders

Invisible Sun

There is no upcoming game I am more excited about. If this can be worked into a holiday budget, there's no pre-order that I would recommend higher. A gigantic game that is going to redefine how we play RPGs, Invisuble Sun is the sort of splurge that makes for a great holiday present.
You can also check the link below for some ways that a game group could purchase the game together to split up the cost!
https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/invisible-sun-preorder/

invisible sun
Look at all the stuff in this product!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Cypher Mon - Monster Battling Cypher Hack Premise

I'm taking the long way around to another Cypher System hack. There is a lot to love about the Cypher System; in this case I want to emphasize the ease of creating NPCs and other entities by level. The Cypher System uses levels to abstract everything outside of player characters. They're generally rated 1-10 with 10 being the best. When you compare 2 things and they have different levels, the one with the higher level wins. You can make quick decisions based on that system or do things in a more granular fashion using these same rules. So here are some things I want to lay out in Cypher System for a monster battling setting. 1. Easy monster creation and ways to classify weakness/strength based on type. This would be something like: Splash (Level 3 Water Mon) Water Type is Strong against Earth types and Weak against Wood types. 2. Character Types based upon Monster Battling. Revising the default types of Cypher (Warrior, Adept, Explorer, Speaker) to be based around