Skip to main content

Skills for Harry Potter in Fate

I love Harry Potter! At home we talked about the idea of a Harry Potter game, inspired by Mark Plourde as mentioned on the Cypher Speak Podcast. So here's 2 ways to handle it: as a Fate skill system.

In Fate Core, the game expects 18 skills. Here's a trial of mapping Hogwarts school subjects to skills.
Apparition
Astronomy
Arithmancy
Care of Magical Creatures
Charms
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Divination
Dueling - replace Fight and Shoot
Flying Lessons - replace Drive
Herbology
History of Magic - replace Lore
Muggle Studies
Potions - replace Crafts
Transfiguration
also non-school subjects
Contacts
Provoke
Rapport
Resources

The school subjects cover almost everything I'd want in a Harry Potter game, but I wanted to be able to explain why the Malfoys are so well-known and connected without using school subjects, so Contacts and Resources stayed in from Fate Core. Additionally, Provoke and Rapport seem important for dealing with other wizards (and perhaps House Elves). I think that Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology and Muggle Studies may all be parallels to these skills for specific audiences.

Cypher System skills are easy. Take a subject or another skill and be Trained, Specialized or Inable to use it. All the same skills as Fate apply, but they could also be more flexible and deal with other concepts.
In Cypher, I might consider making students Trained in subjects appropriate to a grade year but Inable in other skills - for example, second years might be Trained in Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Flying Lessons, Herbology, Potions and Transfiguration but Inable in Apparition and Dueling.
I might also say that first years have only a couple of skills they are Trained in, but that's pretty common in a Cypher System game. This is probably too many separate skills for a Cypher game.

Instead you could have a list like:
Magical Lore (replaces Astronomy, Arithmancy, History of Magic)
Care of Magical Creatures
Charms
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Dueling
Flying Lessons
Herbology
Potions
Transfiguration

Skills for positive and negative social interactions are common in Cypher, so no separate Provoke and Rapport skills.

Apparition (becomes a Magic flavor ability)
Divination (becomes a Magic flavor ability)

For a Cypher System HP game, I would let characters take Magic and Skills and Knowledge flavor abilities. Character Types would reflect their interest in study. To keep the 4 Character Type model, I might use:
Gryffindor for Warrior
Ravenclaw for Adept
Hufflepuff for Explorer
Slytherin for Speaker
UPDATE: I edited the type associations after giving it some thought. I'm exploring this in more depth in a future post.

This House-based model might restrict the characters too much - not sure! I'll have to play with this. But a Clever Gryffindor Who Would Rather Be Reading could be Hermione, while a Brave Gryffindor Who Loves to Fly could be Harry.

More thoughts in time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Cypher Mon - Monster Battling Cypher Hack Premise

I'm taking the long way around to another Cypher System hack. There is a lot to love about the Cypher System; in this case I want to emphasize the ease of creating NPCs and other entities by level. The Cypher System uses levels to abstract everything outside of player characters. They're generally rated 1-10 with 10 being the best. When you compare 2 things and they have different levels, the one with the higher level wins. You can make quick decisions based on that system or do things in a more granular fashion using these same rules. So here are some things I want to lay out in Cypher System for a monster battling setting. 1. Easy monster creation and ways to classify weakness/strength based on type. This would be something like: Splash (Level 3 Water Mon) Water Type is Strong against Earth types and Weak against Wood types. 2. Character Types based upon Monster Battling. Revising the default types of Cypher (Warrior, Adept, Explorer, Speaker) to be based around