Skip to main content

Story Ideas for FATE

I've been interested in FATE for a while. It's a great premise for a game system but so different from games like D&D that I'm really taking some time to wrap my head around it.

One of the great things about FATE is that there are so many great ideas in the base material! The Evil Hat Patreon/Worlds of Fate series has amazing ideas. The Fate System Toolkit and Adversary Toolkit are awesome products - in fact, the Regency Romance spread in the Adversary Toolkit will probably be the first FATE game I run, because it's something my wife has wanted for a long time.

The hardest thing to understand how to do well in FATE is aspects. Suggestions in Fate Core is that aspects have both positive and negative connotations as well as boundaries. Instead of 'Strongest Man Alive', a good aspect would be 'Strongest Man in the State'.

That final quality defines the possibility of conflict with other 'strong men' in other states. There are many other things that could be used as game fuel here as well - what about the strongest woman in the state? The title implies conflict or competition - who would challenge that title? How would they do so?

A game system that's really helping me understand FATE better is the Cypher System from Monte Cook Games. Their formula of character Descriptors, Types and Foci gives me an idea of how characters could have a High Concept and Aspects. I imagine that the combination of Descriptor and Type make a generic High Concept (something that is not necessarily setting-oriented or connected to background), while the Focus is an example of an Aspect that also influences the Stunts a character uses. There are other systems that give me ideas about Aspects as well, but the Cypher System is particularly descriptive and evocative.

Having Aspects that can be Invoked and Compelled is the heart of FATE. This is the thing I like most about the system; the fact that it seems to really lend itself to 'real life' scenarios. The games I want to run with FATE are those that really don't need high-level, high-octane rule sets or characters.
I want to run a cooking show game, like the Uranium Chef World of Fate setting, but with everyday people and ingredients.
I want to run the small-town drama game with a simple plot, like the football star who's gone off to war and comes home different.
I think the strength of FATE is in the simple games that you can play with it. I don't know how I feel about Skills (Fate Core) v. Approaches (Fate Accelerated). I think I want the grit of Skills but expect to downplay combat.

So story ideas for FATE, based on my preferences:
A 10-year high school reunion has a group of friends reflect on a traumatic experience.
With a natural disaster on the horizon, a group of average people need to prepare for the worst.
or
After a natural disaster, a group of friends search for a missing person.
A group of young people deal with rumors of something hidden that will change their town.
A fixed-rent apartment building in the big city is going up for sale, forcing its occupants out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Bad Con - about me

As a longer version of my Twitter (@HansCTweets) #BigBadCon2019 intro: Hi, I’m Hans! I use he/him pronouns.    I like to make, hack, run and play games. I do want to talk to you about games.   OK with photos and physical contact but please ask!   Very easily distracted and hyperfocused.   I drink coffee constantly but no alcohol. I’m here to meet people, play games, be excited and pick up cool stuff!    Won’t get to the Con until 6 on Thursday, maybe as late as 8 Friday, but all day Sat and Sun!   I will be volunteering as a Ranger greeting on Saturday 2-5pm and hosting Games on Demand Sunday 8am-12noon.   Big Bad Con is going to be my first con in a while. I'm looking for new opportunities and to connect with new friends. I've done a lot of streaming and online games lately and would really love to expand upon that. I've also started many RPG projects and would love to get more incentive to see them finished. There are a bunch o

Big Bad Con - before the con

First, I love this title, which sounds like some kind of prequel novel! Getting ready for Big Bad Con is reminding me that I have lots of outlets for sharing my creativity with people. I meant to go to Big Bad Con last year. I didn't get things together, which may have been some kind of anxiety or executive dysfunction. It's been a long time since I gamed with people I've never met in public and I'm honestly nervous about how I'm going to come across and what I'm going to do. https://www.bigbadcon.com/ But I need Big Bad Con too. Some of the reasons: To meet people I've come to appreciate online in person. To make new connections and be inspired. To challenge myself, because the more people you tell you will do something, the better chance you actually do it. I find myself interested in developing new games, streaming new shows and making more creative collaborative projects. This is going to be a great opportunity. Here's my scheduled ev

Cypher Mon - Monster Battling Cypher Hack Premise

I'm taking the long way around to another Cypher System hack. There is a lot to love about the Cypher System; in this case I want to emphasize the ease of creating NPCs and other entities by level. The Cypher System uses levels to abstract everything outside of player characters. They're generally rated 1-10 with 10 being the best. When you compare 2 things and they have different levels, the one with the higher level wins. You can make quick decisions based on that system or do things in a more granular fashion using these same rules. So here are some things I want to lay out in Cypher System for a monster battling setting. 1. Easy monster creation and ways to classify weakness/strength based on type. This would be something like: Splash (Level 3 Water Mon) Water Type is Strong against Earth types and Weak against Wood types. 2. Character Types based upon Monster Battling. Revising the default types of Cypher (Warrior, Adept, Explorer, Speaker) to be based around