Skip to main content

Cyberpunk Concepts for D&D 5e

After a fun conversation with my friend Allison (@moonstruckmaid) I started thinking about a cyberpunk mod for D&D 5e. It has a fair amount of crunch like Shadowrun and I think that cyberpunk would do well with a level-based system.

Concept 1: Character classes modded from D&D 5e
More on this soon, but in short, mod the classes to reflect a cyberpunk setting.

Concept 2: Characters exist in an Augmented Reality (AR) version of the world that replaces reality. No one walks around outside of AR; doing so is a cultural taboo. Therefore, the incredible effects of hackers that mimic spells are a part of the reality people experience. Additionally, the disconnect between physical meat people and cyber avatars makes cultural norms change.

Concept 3: Cyber death is a result of system shock in AR. When a person's avatar is destroyed, they find themselves locked out of the System, trapped in meatspace. This is potentially deadly in real life because there are no offline services for meat people. No one will bring you food or check on your health. Without a new uplink, your days are numbered.
Resurrection is really a matter of getting back online. A friendly contact might help you resurrect your previous connection and come back to life. Otherwise you can get a new connection, but you'll be starting all over.

Concept 4: The System. The habitat and prison of all people. Why people are part of the System is something for the DM to unveil. The effect of the System is to make all people subservient to it. If you want food, attention, even air, you must be enrolled in the System. You can move around physically at that point- but why? In the System, most people lead semi-productive lives. Some unlucky souls have harder lots, working almost 24 hours. Others live lives of privilege and never work at all. Last, some reject the System and live on the fringes. They make excellent adventurers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon's Pool

Here's a pitch for a new game setting for D&D I'm working on. First, I recommend you read Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. I'm enjoying it a lot; it's a fantasy Japan with a lot of great characters and fun over-the-top fantasy. The Dragon's Pool is an Asian-inspired setting that focuses on the mystical and magical. Long-term goals are to zoom out and see the lands of China, Korea, Mongolia and southeast Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia). Short-term, Dragon's Pool will focus on a mythic Japan and the sea that surrounds it. Some of the homebrew topics I'm dealing with are the yokai (monster) races of Kitsune and Tanuki and a lot of mapping D&D Classes and Archetypes to Asian tropes. You can follow along for more and also check out the World Anvil page at https://www.worldanvil.com/w/dragons-pool-hans

Playing Cypher - Transparent Difficulties

I've realized lately that I'm doing something very different from the play examples in Cypher System books. I've been telling my players the difficulty levels of everything before they roll. I think this is because the majority of my games have been one-shots, demos and short arcs at home. But I like it! There's been little consistent growth in play, so it's been natural for me to make things really transparent for players. Here's what I mean: A player attempts a task. They describe it, saying what they want to do. I tell them the difficulty number (i.e. 5) and what they have to roll to beat it (15). We use Skills and Assets to modify the difficulty. They get the opportunity to apply Effort. Then we roll. That's how I've been running the game. I notice that the Play Examples in the book and most games I've seen keep difficulties secret. I think this is a natural thing in role-playing games but I don't know if I like the practice. It seems to...

Pathfinder Playtest Thoughts

The Pathfinder Playtest is going on now. I am really enjoying everything about it! Unexpectedly so, as well. http://paizo.com/pathfinderplaytest I played D&D 3 and 3.5 in their time. When I first heard about Pathfinder several years later, it seemed like a great way to preserve what I knew of D&D at a time when 4th Edition seemed like something different than I wanted.I ended up with a couple of Pathfinder books, then later a digital bundle of supplements. I don't think I ever used them once. By the time I got over my gaming hiatus, D&D 5th Edition was out and I liked it a lot. There was the influence of Critical Role and lots of local opportunities to run and play games, so I dived into D&D5e. I recently got a copy of Starfinder. I love the art but I ran the game for about 3 hours total and have no desire to go back. Starfinder has some interesting ideas but ends up very complicated; as a GM, it's more effort than I want to put in when prepping and r...